Monday, February 16, 2009

Virtual reality

I gave my first ever web talk this evening. I could see a group of
silhouettes standing against my work, their arms crossed. If I waved
at them, someone from the back waved back. But mostly it was a silent,
dark group, almost like a photograph held up to the webcam in another
state. Yet it was fun. There were some questions and individuals would
step forward to speak into the mic, their faces triumphantly appearing
as their voices became solid over the roar of the heating vent in my
office. (I spent a half hour before the talk tidying my bookshelves so
they would make a nice backdrop. I stacked books on my desk to raise
my lamp up to create Rembrandt lighting, which I then diffused with a
napkin and a paperclip.)
It was fun. I would do it again.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: