Thursday, September 4, 2008

Teaching

At the beginning of the term, there are new faces, new students, new adventures to be had. Students come to class with preconceived notions of what art and photography are or can be.

I am excited to see what will happen, what they will make, what they will say when they see art, theories and ideas that are new to them. Students' perspectives are so unique in the beginning, unhindered by all the images, images, images that I have seen.

It is easy to take my own knowledge for granted as 'obvious' or commonsense, yet I am often surprised by how complicated images are, how difficult they are to talk about. I know it will be a struggle for my students, but I envy them to be learning this for the first time, to be surprised and awed by the power and magic of the photograph. It is so enriching to learn something deeply, but also so actualizing to learn something for the first time.

No comments: