Thursday, October 23, 2008

In somnia

It is 12:45 AM... I have been in bed an hour with my eyes wide open, my mind racing. I was tired earlier, but I had some files to prepare for class tomorrow, and that seems to have woken me up. It is very dark. The house is cold. I am downstairs because poor J can do nothing but snore right now, and I am liable to smother him (even though I would be wide awake without the noise too). The cats are here, sleeping in the living room. I like to sleep here sometimes, so maybe it will help. I don't know why: I have the most uncomfortable couch.

Why am I awake? Is it simply the perils of doing work before bed? Am I more nervous about my show than I let on? How about that crazy article about me on the website?

There are all these details I am fixing in my head. "What about this?" my left brain asks. "That is the best suggestion so far!" my right brain squeals. Then, "you should talk to so-n-so tomorrow about this other thing." "Oh, you're right! I hope I don't forget!!" Then my other brain, possibly the hippocampus? pips up and says, "none of this will matter if you get no sleep and are a zombie tomorrow! I won't remember anything then!!"

I set my phone alarm, in case I fall asleep before returning to bed. I have a terrible headache too.

No comments: