Saturday, November 22, 2008

Train rides

I have always heard about the novelty of the train running on time. It was cited as one thing the Nazis did that didn't suck. I never understood the issue. Trains in California were always on time.

Then there is the Crawfordsville train. Rumored to be up to three hours late (departing sometime between 7am on) and taking 4 hours to get to Chicago. It arrived on time this morning. No waiting in the freezing cold predawn twilight. It went the twenty miles to Lafayette (hey, I was here yesterday for my haircut) then suddenly stopped for an hour an a half. We arrived at Chicago at noon, got to a resturant 45 minutes later, waited 30 minutes for a table, 45 minutes for a $30 deep dish (soggy) pizza-- only one hour to look at art then head back to the train station. Who knows how long to get home?

Millenium park was cooler than I thought it would be. And my coat was perfectly warm and light for city travel in freezing temperatures.

I was taken back by traffic, crowds, tourists, and agressive pan handlers. Don't miss any of that. I do miss the twinkley lights, designer shops, hip art centers, public art, public transportation. Oh, I am not a country mouse, but also not a city one. Where will I end up?

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

62mockingbirds said...

any train or plane that has Chicago involved is guaranteed late in my book