Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fresh food and fireflies

I went to prepare my lunch sandwich just now. It might sound banal, but there is something very appealing about cleaning up the dishes and preparing a delicious sandwich. I have been using the beautiful romaine leaves from the plants grown before I left for N.Y. I was surprised to find these perfect romaine heads on my return. The corn did not reach knee high the month I was gone (clearly, hefty fertilizers are involved in those fields), and the zucchini (normally a garden champion) succumbed to the attacks by the weeds. But my beautiful little lettuce was thriving. I only planted one, and looking at it, I think it would make a good salad for one. To spread out the delight it gives me, I am reserving its leaves for sandwiches-- two per day. When I went to pluck my two leaves, I found this little fellow, reminding me of the videos I had prepared for you, waiting silently on my camera. I apologize for the delay, and will post them now, post-haste.

The fireflies here seem to not trust the dark. They are all gone by 10:00 P.M. or so, and with a 9:20 sunset, it is not a lot of time to see their full, lightening spectacle. Here is what they look like. Kind of ugly at first, then when I realized what they were, I thought he was quite a pretty fellow.

Here is an example of their flying/lighting action.


This video, taken at 8:30, is at the height of their activity in my front yard. Your challenge: count how many you find.

No comments: