Monday, July 14, 2008

Small town photos

Carving of a bird with a thought bubble containing a name and a Masonic symbol.
My foot at bottom for size and texture.
Pine Hills State Park, 2008

I hate to always say something good with something bad but I am going to give a couple here.

I was talking to the library archivist today and she was saying these areas I have been hiking have been popular destinations for more than one hundred and fifty years. They would load up in the back of a wagon, take all morning to get there, have a picnic, and ride back by evening.

We went on a marvelous hike before J left town again at the Big Pine State Park (right next to Shades). The above was taken at one of these ancient picnicking spots. It is no wonder that the cliff is covered in ancient and charming graffiti, from generations of wily youths. How many of my students are off doing that same thing right now?

So my complaint is about the photos I took (using a funny camera, I admit, but still. More here). I used to get very good pictures developed and printed at Target, and for some (dumb) reason, I was convinced that Walmart's mail-in service would be similar. No. Probably the worst prints I've ever seen, and the CD was hardly well done enough for heavy Photoshopping for the Internet. Lesson continually learned: you get what you pay for.

Another contrasting set of random events.

My step-mom had to put one of her/our cats to sleep today. She was sixteen or so. That's a lot for a cat, but it is still sad.

And I am confirmed for a solo show in January in Georgia. I am now confirmed as a nationally showing artist.

No comments: