Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mount Hope Cemetery

I went on a tour of the Mount Hope Cemetery this morning. In the rain. Seemed like the best thing to do on a Saturday morning, for a follow-up post to yesterday! I couldn't help being distracted by the group of school teachers also on the tour, who giggled and talked the whole time, then asked questions the guide already answered. Every time we saw a grave of someone remotely young (my age and younger, really), whether the guide said, "died of typhoid" or just "died suddenly," they would chorus together, "ohhhhh, that's soooo saaaaaaddddd!!!!" Later they mocked the Victorians for thinking about death so much as to plan their monuments and grave sites.

On the walk back, I asked the tour guide if we were passing the Ironic section of the cemetery. The group looked over to see what I did:What do you want to bet he adds that to the tour from here on out?

No comments: