Saturday, June 28, 2008

Nameless Rapture

I believe artists should love their own work. Not just love it, but be in love with it. It's already something that consumes so much of our physic and emotional energy, I think you should have that kind of affection for it. I do. That's probably why rejection, editing, and destroying of art work is so difficult. Yes, sometimes I have work that falls our of my good graces, and I not only don't love it any more, I hate it. In the darkness of night, when no one is around to catch me, I murder it and dispose of the evidence.

But that doesn't happen too often.

It makes me sad for folks with regular jobs, when I don't see that light of love in their eyes at the end of the week. Life is hard enough without not having something to look forward to every day. Every day-- ha, I wish I made something new every day.

Anyway, blah blah, love love sappy... What I am trying to say is this month, I am so happy to see that I am actually bringing more out of the images than ever before. More details, more tonal ranges, more color consistency. Now, when others look at it, they can start to see those qualities that make it so endeared to me.

Before I left Indiana, I made about ten 15" x 15" prints of my work, and when I got to New York, I hung them all over my apartment. Various people saw what I had done and commented the rooms look so much fresher with new art, etc. I was proud of the prints. Now, when I see them, I see muddy, awkward colors, flat shadows, soft details. When I look at them now, I shudder that anyone else ever saw them. Something will have to be done about them...

No comments: